Monday, October 06, 2008

Another Web site experiment

This blog started to chronicle my experiences on eHarmony. It worked. Very well. Thank you Neil Patrick Harris Neil Clark Warren.

Anyway I've been part of another Web site experiment for a few weeks, but didn't want to discuss it until...well...I understood it enough to explain it. It's kinda complicated.

It's called The Grocery Game. In a nutshell, it's about coupons, but it's oh so much more. The key is to use a coupon (or, if you're really lucky, a mix of coupons) AT THE SAME TIME a product is on sale. So for example, by using two coupons while it was on sale, I bought an eight-pack of Mustang's favorite soap yesterday for $2.09. It's usually $5.99.

Okay, I know what you're thinking: I'm cheap/silly/insert word for using coupons because Mustang is a doctor and we have a good income. While we are blessed with a good income, we believe we should be stewards of it and spend it wisely. I'd much rather spend $50 on something fun or helpful than on lame groceries. Also, I don't know if it's because we moved to Dallas or what, but we spent wayyy too much money at the grocery store this summer. Finally: the economy. 'Nuff said.

Ya-Ya Gina has long been a fan of The Grocery Game (or, GG, as it's called by its fans). Now I see why. It indulges my Type-A personality (I will find the last bottle of free Worcestershire sauce!) and also saves money. In other words, it's a healthy addiction.

And I am reminded of my childhood love for The Price is Right and my junior-high summer TV watching of Supermarket Sweep.

Anyway, I signed up for a $1 month trial in September, and at its conclusion, I can say I'm hooked. I saved about $180 in September. On groceries. Seriously.

So anyway, I'll post a few more things I've observed about GG soon.

No comments: